Tuesday, January 09, 2007

We Rest on Thee

If my memory serves me correctly, yesterday was the 51st anniversary of the death of Jim Elliot, Rodger Youderian, Ed McCully, Pete Flemming, and Nate Saint, murdered by the very people they were trying to reach with the gospel. Yet, by the grace of God, the gospel did reach the Auca people. This inspiring story is told by Elizabeth Elliot in Through Gates of Splendor, and I encourage you to read it as a tonic to keep your own life Christ-centered and gospel-oriented.

The song these men sang just a few days before their death is one that also stirs my soul, and I share one stanza for your edification.

We rest on Thee, our Shield and our Defender,
Thine is the battle; thine shall be the praise
When passing through the gates of pearly splendor
Victors, we rest with Thee through endless days.

No comments: