The main points:
Knowing God means to be in a covenant relationship with God, personally experiencing and enjoying the blessings of that relationship. We were created to have a relationship with God, and this relationship is a matter of grace on God's part (Gen 1:26-28).
Three biblical snapshots to fill out a little bit of the meaning of knowing God.
1. Moses (Exodus 33:7-34:9)
- Knowing God is a personal relationship.
- Knowing God involves knowing his revealed ways.
- Knowing God involves knowing his character.
2. Jeremiah (Jeremiah 24:7; 31:31-34)
- Knowing God requires having a regenerate heart.
- Knowing God is made possible by the forgiveness of sins.
3. Jesus (John 1:1-18; 14:6-9; 10:14-15, 27-29)
- God has made himself known supremely through Jesus Christ.
- Jesus is the only one who can make it possible for man to know God.
- He does this by laying down his life for those whom God has chosen to know. His blood brings the New Covenant prophesied by Jeremiah to bear upon us.