Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hymns Are Good for the Soul

This week in our family devotions my soul has been particularly enriched by the hymns we sang together. It Is Well with My Soul was one such hymn. Whenever I sing "that Christ has regarded my helpless estate and has shed his own blood for my soul," I can hardly keep singing because of the lump in my throat. But I want to keep singing, for the next stanza says "My sin - oh the bliss of this glorious thought - my sin, not in part but the whole, is nailed to his cross, and I bear it no more! Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!"

Other great hymns we have enjoyed this week are Holy, Holy, Holy; Praise the Savior Ye Who Know Him; Jesus Thy Blood and Righteousness; and There Is a Fountain among many others. If you have never learned what a blessing hymn singing is in your family, I would greatly encourage you to begin working on it now. It will refresh your soul!

1 comment:

Scott Aniol said...

Wonderful hymns! Thanks for sharing.