Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Favorite Hymns

Phil asked if I would pick out some of my favorite hymns for my ordination service on Sunday. That is a great idea, but it is also extremely hard for me to narrow down which ones of my favorite hymns we should sing. There are just too many great hymns that have meant so much to me in my life in Christ. This morning I sat down and made a list of the hymns that strike me as being my "favorite." Choosing these hymns was a great spiritual exercise, as I had great delight in "singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness...to God." There are many hymns besides these that I truly love, but here are the ones I picked out, in no particular order.

Arise, My Soul, Arise
There Is a Fountain
God Himself Is Present
Holy, Holy, Holy
Amazing Grace
And Can It Be?
How Sweet and Awful Is the Place
O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Praise the Savior
All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
O Worship the King
Crown Him with Many Crowns
O God, Our Help in Ages Past
Jesus Shall Reign
All Creatures of Our God and King
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Hark! the Herald Angels Sing
Joy to the Word!
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
O Sacred Head Now Wounded
'Tis the Christ
Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted
Christ, the Lord, Is Risen Today
Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
Blest Be the Tie that Binds
I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord
Come, Thou Fount
O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
Come, Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy
It Is Well with My Soul
Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness
O Thou in Whose Presence
Be Thou My Vision
O for a Closer Walk with God
Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
He Who Would Valiant Be
Take My Life, and Let It Be
Am I a Soldier of the Cross?
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
How Firm a Foundation
God Is the Treasure of My Soul
Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
May the Mind of Christ My Savior
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence
Let All Things Now Living


What about you? What are some songs that you love to sing with thankfulness to God?

2 comments:

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

Praising God with you on the ordination!
LeftCoastOnlooker & Jehu

Jason Parker said...

Thanks! Ordination council went well. Now we just have to make it official on Sunday.