Tuesday, October 16, 2007

ESV Literary Study Bible

In our class on interpreting the Bible, we have talked a little bit about study helps, among which are study Bibles. As I mentioned on Sunday, Crossway has just released the ESV Literary Study Bible. I do not have one, so I have not been able to evaluate it personally. The response I have seen, however, has been fairly positive.

My former Hebrew professor, Dr. Bob McCabe, has now posted some of his initial thoughts about the ESVLSB at his blog Fearing God in a Hebel World. He has examined the notes on the books of Job, Psalms, and Ecclesiastes, and has given them a positive review. I consider this high praise for the work, given that these books are one area of Dr. McCabe's expertise. (By the way, you may want to check out Dr. McCabe's website, Old Testament Studies, for studies particularly on recent creationism and Wisdom literature.)

So for those looking for a study Bible, check out the ESV Literary Study Bible. Here is a link to the website. It looks to be a good investment, and any investment in understanding the Word of God is eternally worthwhile.

No comments: