Friday, October 19, 2007

Keeping the Covenant Relationship

The Constitution of the United States begins, "We the people of the United States...." How completely different is the "constitution" that God gave to Israel, "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery." The stipulations and guidelines of our relationship with the Lord, like that of Israel's of old, are not something devised by men. We the people do not decide these matters. In fact, we the people did not even initiate this relationship. "The Lord our God made a covenant with us." Our relationship with God is entirely a matter of his grace. He graciously initiated a relationship with us, and he graciously gives us the "statutes and rules" which direct this relationship. Our relationship with him is rooted in redemption and so are the rules of the relationship. And so, as we begin our study of the "Ten Words" or Ten Commandments, let them always drive you to worship our great Lord!

Songs
I Sing the Mighty Power of God (#19)
Mighty God, While Angels Bless Thee (#27)
Trust and Obey (#525)
May the Mind of Christ My Savior (#476)
Let Us Love (#483)
Thou Sweet Beloved Will of God (#528)

Scripture Reading
Psalm 119:17-32

Sermon
Keeping the Covenant Relationship - Deuteronomy 5:1-6

2 comments:

Bob McCabe said...

Hi Jason, I have been following your blog. I was curios about this post as it relates to your Sunday service. Your lead in paragraph, is this your sermon introduction?

Between posting the songs, scripture reading, and sermon title, I think this may have some benefit for your church. I will be curious to see how successful this works.

Dr. Priest said you did well at your ordination council. I would like to have been there. The only reason I did not come is that I have so many trips this semester that take me out of town I am so overwhelmed I can't keep things organized.

I hope you keep up the good work.

Jason Parker said...

Hello Dr. McCabe,

It is great to hear from you. The paragraph you mentioned is not exactly like my sermon introduction, but the introduction will contain some similar concepts.

I try to post songs and scripture from our upcoming Sunday morning service so that the people of the church can meditate on them ahead of time, learn new songs if necessary, and prepare themselves and their children.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I trust the semester is going well there at DBTS.