Friday, January 18, 2008

Honor Your Father and Your Mother

Each one of the Ten Commandments is like a bullet in the heart of some contemporary idolatry. It is no wonder that secularists want these things removed from the public square. They leave the rebellious heart no quarter, relentlessly condemning all who do not obey.

But God did not intend them to condemn only. Or to say it a different way, they condemn for a purpose. That purpose is to call men away from their sins and to a loving relationship with God. The only way to know God's blessing is through repentance and faith. When we realize that we are rebellious sinners, corrupt in every part, then by God's grace we are made willing to accept the cure he has provided through his Son Jesus Christ. When our hearts are made new by the Holy Spirit we find that living according to the eternal principles embodied in the Ten Commandments is a beautiful experience of the love of God.

I invite you to join us this Sunday as we consider the fifth powerful commandment: Honor your father and your mother.

Songs
Holy, Holy, Holy (#3)
O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing (#69)
All Glory, Laud, and Honor (#11)
Fairest Lord Jesus (#21)
Thou, the God Who Changes Never (#18)
Lord, How Delightful (#726)

Scripture Reading
Psalm 119:129-144

Sermon
The Command to Love Your Parents with Honor

3 comments:

Steve Walker said...

Pastor,
What or where can I find some scriptural content on killing in war? I have heard all of the military's "Philosophical viewpoints" of the combatant / non-combatant war justifications for killing to allow people to live and reason with it. What does the Bible say about it? Do you have any recommendations?
(This being tied to your ten commandments comments.)
Thanks again for everything you guys continue to do for Traci and the kids. I don't know what we'd do without you guys.

Thanks, Steve

Jason Parker said...

Hi Steve,
It is interesting you should ask this. I plan to include a message on this topic when I get to the sixth commandment, and I have just started doing some reading on it. I have never investigated this topic in any depth before, other than reading a couple books and articles about it, so I am excited to be able to dig into what the Bible says. I have several books on the topic on my desk right now waiting to be read. In fact, I noticed that the latest issue of Parameters, the US Army War College Quarterly, has a couple essays dealing with this very issue. So, in order to answer your question with something substantial, I will wait to answer your question until I have completed a little more study. Just War theory really brings into play the whole spectrum of Christian theology, Bible interpretation, and ethics, so it is a pretty involved topic. I hope I can do it justice! Thanks for asking this excellent question.

We enjoyed meeting your friend Greg and his family yesterday at church. It sounded like they were having a good time with Traci and the kids. I'm glad they were able to visit.

Thanks again.

steve walker said...

Pastor,
Thanks for your response. I'll wait to see what all you post about your study then. I had to take a mandatory philosophy class in school.. the required class dealt with a lot of just war theory... i forget the book we read... there are a lot on the subject... but all aimed at allowing people to have the moral courage to kill in the "right" situations. it was interesting... i was not too enthusiastic about their answers, so i was wondering what Biblical content there was on the subject. I'll look forward to hearing some recommendations.
I'm glad you got to meet the Biggers. They used to go to RHBC when they lived in COS. I'm glad they came to visit Traci and the kids.. They are great people.
Take care,
Steve

http://www.amazon.com/When-God-Says-War-Right/dp/1578566576/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201039438&sr=1-19

look at that.. looks interesting.. it says it is based on Romans 13. I understand the basis.. but i wonder what else it discusses. hmmm..