Friday, February 13, 2009

Guarded by the Power of God

Peter wrote to discouraged and fearful believers that they were being guarded by God's power through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (1 Peter 1:5). That is feet-planting, backbone-bracing, head-lifting assurance! Augustus Toplady wrote a poem about this:

A Sov’reign Protector I have,
Unseen, yet forever at hand,
Unchangeably faithful to save,
Almighty to rule and command.
He smiles, and my comforts abound;
His grace as the dew shall descend;
And walls of salvation surround
The soul He delights to defend.

Inspirer and Hearer of prayer,
Thou Shepherd and Guardian of Thine,
My all to Thy covenant care
I sleeping and waking resign.
If Thou art my Shield and my Sun,
The night is no darkness to me;
And fast as my moments roll on,
They bring me but nearer to Thee.

Kind Author, and ground of my hope,
Thee, Thee, for my God I avow;
My glad Ebenezer set up,
And own Thou hast helped me till now.
I muse on the years that are past,
Wherein my defense Thou hast proved;
Nor wilt Thou relinquish at last
A sinner so signally loved!

We will sing this hymn this Lord's Day, as well as consider from the Scriptures the great truth of God's preservation.

Songs
I Sing the Mighty Power of God (#19)
Great Is Thy Faithfulness (#22)
More Secure Is No One Ever (#613)
A Debtor to Mercy Alone (#614)
A Sovereign Protector I Have (#615)
(Note: The last two hymns may be unfamiliar to you. I have discovered that all of the tunes in our hymnbook are available as MIDI files here. Just scroll down to the hymn number, and you can click on it to listen to the tune.)

Scripture Reading
1 Peter 4-5

Sermon
Blessed be God for Blessing Us in Christ with Preservation - Romans 8:29-39

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, nice of that church to put all the hymns online for us!

Jason Parker said...

Yes, it is a great benefit.