Friday, August 06, 2010

Seeing Is Believing?

Once a group of Jesus' disciples huddled together, not long after his resurrection, and announced to Thomas, "We have seen the Lord!" Thomas' response earned him the nickname which has stuck until this day - "Doubting." He replied, "Unless I see in his hands the mark of the nails, and place my finger into the mark of the nails, and place my hand into his side, I will never believe."

Eight days later, when these same disciples were together again, Jesus appeared to them and admonished Thomas, "Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put our your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe." The astonished Thomas responded, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus then replied to Thomas with a remark which prepares us well for our study of the Gospel of John: "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

In the Gospel of John, we find the Light of Life shining brightly for all to see. How will you respond? Do you believe?

Songs
All Glory, Laud, and Honor (#11)
Praise Ye the Lord (#42)
Jesus, Thy Blood and Righteousness (#400)
Jesus Christ, the Crucified (#386)
Behold the Glories of the Lamb (#653)

Scripture Reading
Old Testament: Genesis 5:1-32; Psalm 24
New Testament: Matthew 4:12-25

Sermon
Seeing is Believing? - John 20:30-31

No comments: