Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Understanding Those to Whom We Minister

FALSANI:
Who's Jesus to you?
(He laughs nervously)
OBAMA:
Right.
Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he's also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher.
And he's also a wonderful teacher. I think it's important for all of us, of whatever faith, to have teachers in the flesh and also teachers in history.
...
FALSANI:
Do you believe in sin?
OBAMA:
Yes.
FALSANI:
What is sin?
OBAMA:
Being out of alignment with my values.
...
FALSANI:
What are you doing when you feel the most centered, the most aligned spiritually?
OBAMA:
I think I already described it. It's when I'm being true to myself....

The entire interview, which is worth reading, can be found here.

I have no political interest in posting this. My interest is in the fact that this interview represents the faith of thousands of our friends and neighbors who call themselves Christian. As we seek to serve these friends and neighbors, we need to be aware of the many misconceptions that they hold about Christianity, and we need to address these with the truth of God's Word. Only the truth will set them free.

(HT: The Weekly Standard Blog)

No comments: