Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Singing Fathers

This post - Dads, Sing Like You Mean It Because Your Kids Are Watching - came to my attention, and it fit so well with our seminar last Lord's Day that I had to share it with you. It is a son's testimony to the impact his father's singing had on him and a moving example of how our worship can pass on the faith to our children.

Though I hold many cherished memories of him, perhaps the most vivid was his excitement over singing certain hymns. By all accounts he possessed at best an “average” voice when it comes to uniqueness and tonal quality. But he sang his favorites with a conviction that was beyond convincing and was by far one of the loudest and most joyful voices in a congregation of approximately 350. I remember looking up at him and “checking him out” while he was singing… “Is he for real?” I would wonder. When he would catch me looking at him he would simply “lock-eyes” with me and sing all the louder while he broadened his grin to match proportion with his pleasure.

Do read the whole thing.


And while I'm on this topic, allow me to direct your attention once again to the series of articles by David de Bruyn on how we shape our children's hearts to grasp a right relationship with God.


JDP
High Country Baptist Church of Colorado Springs

No comments: