Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thankful for the Grace of Good Fellowship and Good Preaching

In the past dozen days I have had the privilege of participating in two events which were both very good for my soul. I spoke at a southeast Michigan men's retreat at Camp Michindoh, hosted by Huron Baptist Church. It was so encouraging to learn from these brothers, as well as to see their hunger for the Word. I also participated in the Conference on the Church for God's Glory, hosted by First Baptist Church of Rockford. While there, I connected with many pastors that I had not seen for years, and I met many pastors that I did not know before. What a blessing it was to be around so many men who are steadfast, faithful shepherds, primarily in small churches! Another blessing was the painful, refreshing work of the Spirit brought to bear on my life through the earnest preaching. I needed that. There is something about sitting face-to-face with a real preacher (not listening to a recording or watching a video) that is spiritually beneficial. Pastor Scott Williquette opened the conference with a sermon from John 21:15-19 on what is important to Jesus that was both pointed in dealing with my sin and hope-giving for the work God has called me to do. The rest of the conference was likewise challenging.

God is so good to give us fellow believers and faithful pastors.


JDP
High Country Baptist Church of Colorado Springs

No comments: