Following up on our post from last week, here's another example.
In Daniel Doriani's very fine book Putting the Truth to Work, he lays out seven biblical sources for application along with four aspects of application that responsible interpreters must bring out.
7 Biblical Sources for Application
- Redemptive acts in narratives
- Exemplary acts in narratives
- Biblical images
- Songs and prayers
4 Aspects of Application
The four aspects of application can be stated as questions we ask ourselves.
- What should I do? That is, what is my duty?
- Who should I be? That is, how can I become the person or obtain the character that lets me do what is right?
- To what causes should we devote our life energy? That is, what goals should we pursue?
- How can we distinguish truth from error? That is, how can we gain discernment?