Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Just Like Jesus

Studying 1 John, I've been struck with how much John sounds like Jesus. This perception isn't based on word frequency studies or language pattern studies or anything scientific of that sort. It's just that I recognize a melody, and even harmonies, that I've heard before.

Jesus had so impressed his character and his teaching upon the beloved disciple that when John spoke, he sounded like Jesus. So much so, that even little terms of endearment came out the same: "My little children" John says (2:1; cf. 2:12, 28; 3:7, 18; 4:4; 5:21), just like Jesus (John 13:33). Jesus' words truly were abiding in him.


I pray that all Christ's sheep who hear us speak would say, "This sounds familiar. I've heard this voice before." I pray that everyone who hears us speak would say, "You sound a lot like Jesus."

No comments: